Monday, September 30, 2013

Cascade River Hikes

 Cascade River Falls was a highlight when we spent several days on the North Shore last week. Although I have visited the area four times I had not been here since my first trip. I saw much more of Cascade State Park and loved my time there.
Dale and I hiked into the park along the river on our first morning and loved watching the falls and hiking the trails on both sides of the river.
 


 Later that afternoon we hiked in from our lodge and found a more rustic trail that led us along Cascade Creek and toward the falls again. The afternoon light brought a new experience.
 I loved the hike, loved being in the woods and navigating the trails along the rivers. It sounds cliché but trails like this really do beckon me to move ahead. I don't love exercise but I find new energy when the trails are so beautiful and rustic. I do admit that I appreciate the people who have gone before me and built a few stairs and bridges to help me on my journey.
 We stayed longer than we had in the past and it gave us the luxury of lingering to rest and taking the time for more hiking and more on-foot exploration. It was a real treat especially with the perfect long sleeve temperatures.
 With all that hiking and climbing I had hoped that the vacation eating wouldn't show up on the scales but of course I was disappointed when I found five extra pounds when I returned to Iowa. I doubt that the weight is muscle so I hit the produce department this week hoping to get the scales to slide back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment