Saturday, January 26, 2013

Florida Blessings

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to travel to the Gulf Coast of Florida to visit my dear friends, Bob and Chris. I love the way that they do retirement but miss them when they are gone all winter. This was just perfect to be able to visit them and their little corner of paradise in the middle of January.
This scene was my morning wake up call followed by coffee on the balcony overlooking the gulf. With a blanket on my lap and hot coffee in my hands I was so content to watch the pelicans fly by and listen to the waves as the day started.
Chris and I walked miles on the beach after our morning coffee and relaxation. It's so easy to keep walking with all of the beauty around. I saw more sponges than ever before thanks to a storm that came before I arrived. Walking with a friend on a gorgeous beach is a great way to spend the morning. Chris and I both enjoy the same style of walking; barefoot on the edge of the water. . . just perfect! 
My main reason for traveling was to visit Bob and Chris. I had no idea that I would meet so many other wonderful people. We joined a group of ladies from the condo on the beach before joining up again later at the pool. By the time the day was ending there were a large group of fun and generous people gathered by the pool to watch the sunset that hid behind the clouds. It was a perfect time, even without the pink sky. Drinks, snacks, laughter and getting to know some great people. I could do this every night.

We also explored St. Petersburg a bit. It was the perfect opportunity to visit Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays. The doors were locked and the gift shop was closed but we walked around and got to see the outside of a very unique ball park. 
After church on Sunday we got to go to Pass A Grille and enjoy breakfast at an amazing outdoor cafe. Musicians sang, vendors sold their art under colorful umbrellas and the dolphins played in the gulf. It was perfect. I love outdoor dining and it was a treat to get that opportunity a couple of times. . . in January!
 Mazzaro's Italian market was filled with room after room of interesting treasures. The space alone was worth the visit but the meats, cheeses, wines and other Italian goodies were amazing too. This is one of the benefits of having local friends!
I never get tired of sea gulls, pelicans and other birds that live near the water, especially when they neglect the rules and signs. I love the slower pace and relaxing atmosphere near the water. It was an incredibly relaxing weekend with knitting, movies, wine in the evening, bloody Marys in the morning and lots of great conversation and friendship the entire time! Thanks to Bob and Chris for a great visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment