Friday, June 21, 2013

Back on the Trails

 Yesterday I set out for my first real bike ride since I left Des Moines. I was feeling a little rusty but I wore my helmet and proceeded with caution. My home is not conveniently located to the trails but thanks to Briana and Jay I was able to start out from their house. It felt so good to be back on the trails in Cedar Falls and Waterloo. The trails are one of my favorite things about the Cedar Valley. I was last on them in 2005 but it felt so familiar.
 I took an extra loop across the bridge and over to East Lake. Although I did have to tackle some mud and sand from recent flooding it was wonderful to see the lake from the trails again.

 I was greeted by a couple of deer and a gorgeous cardinal on my ride. There was still water over the trails in one area but I didn't mind getting my feet wet. I suspect the water will go down very soon.
I found a couple of good routes to the trails and loved going through Hartman Reserve and George Wyth State Park. I was still feeling good so I took the trail along the river and came back through downtown Cedar Falls. Biking is the best way to be outside in the summer heat with the built in breeze. I hope to do this much more this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment