Monday, June 10, 2013

After the Woods Flooded

Walking the woods this week was a very different experience than it was several weeks ago. We had lots of rain and the greenbelt area was quite flooded and closed two weeks ago. Now it's open and full of mosquitoes and mud.  
 When we saw the trees down we wondered if we could go far but once we got past the trees the path got quite muddy and we turned around. If we walked briskly the mosquitoes wouldn't land but I wouldn't recommend lingering in the woods this week.
The photo below was this same section of the trail 3-4 weeks ago. The one above is the muddy trail we found yesterday. The trees have leafed out and I suspect that the wildflowers that are further into the woods were probably affected by the floods. It has changed very much.
These last photos are from before the flooding. The woods are such a beautiful place in the spring. I will go back when the mud dries some but I fear that the mosquitoes may drive me back out of the woods for much of the summer.
 
May bluebell season in the woods.
 

1 comment:

  1. Get some "bug dope," as my dad called it. I use some stuff that's made of natural ingredients--no chemicals at all--and it does a good job of discouraging the skeeters and such from landing on me. When I remember to use it, that is.

    ReplyDelete