Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Traveling in Maine

Lighthouses captivate me and I will go out of my way to visit and photograph a new lighthouse. These two happen to be my favorites and they are not many miles apart on the Maine coast. I visited them for the first time in 2005 with Randy and Tom and was anxious to return on this trip. Above is Portland Head Lighthouse at Cape Elizabeth.  Cape Neddick "Nubble" Lighthouse in York is below.
 
Amazing wild Maine blueberry ice cream on the coast of Maine visiting a lighthouse! Perfection!

Wiscasset, Maine and Red's Eats were recommended by friends and I am grateful that we were able to visit. We were warned about lines that could stretch blocks down the street but Dale and I got very lucky when we arrived and were able to walk right up and order the very best lobster roll I have ever eaten. It was amazing, buttery and tasted like Maine.
 We sat on the patio to enjoy our dinner and walked down to the harbor to enjoy the sunset. Fortunately we had incredibly great weather for this trip. Red's doesn't even have any indoor dining.


 Because I love to linger at the lighthouses and the sunset we didn't arrive in Augusta until after dark to visit the state house. Since we were staying over night we stopped back in the morning to see the capital building in the daylight. That also allowed us the opportunity to stop for Tim Horton's donuts for the fist time ever.
 We also got to go inside the capital in the morning. My favorite spot was the balcony overlooking the front lawn and the park across the street. The light Maine fog just added to the atmosphere for me.

After our stop in Augusta I was anxious to head back to the coast to visit small harbor towns and lighthouses. It was my first time to Rockland Breakwater and I loved it! This ship sailing by was just frosting on the cake. I just love Maine!
 
One thing that I loved about Rockland Breakwater was the amazing 7/8 of a mile walk out to the lighthouse on the rock breakwater. It was an incredible experience. Our next stop was Camden and it was a great place to enjoy lunch on a patio overlooking the gorgeous harbor. My first visit to Camden will hopefully not be my last.

 
 
Official drink of Maine is Moxie. Dale bought a bottle. I took one taste and we didn't need to buy anymore, but it was fun to try. The official dessert is Whoppie Pie and those were worth repeating. We got them twice. As much as I was enjoying our exploration of Maine I was very excited to move on toward Bar Harbor and Acadia for the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment