Thursday, December 20, 2012

Snow Day

 Today was a real snow day. . . stuck at home, cozy warm inside and a blizzard swirling outside. I enjoyed almost every bit of it. I was fortunate enough to be able to work from home with my Christmas tree, fire place  and Christmas music.
 I got up early and dug into the yeast. It was a perfect day to make bread. I have a couple of really nice neighbors and had enough flour to make two loaves of herb bread which I delivered warm wrapped in parchment paper to their front doors. It was truly the highlight of my day. They were all very grateful. Although I didn't get to eat any of the bread I did create an exceptionally good pot of potato soup which was perfect for a snow day.
 Before it was really daylight I opened the patio door to peek out at the damage. Because the windows were plastered with so much snow it was hard to see out. Of course the wind was so crazy strong that it was pretty hard to stick my head out the door for very long as it snowed into my kitchen.
 Although removing the snow was not my favorite part of the day it did bring a nice break from my "work at home" project. I am grateful for the machinery and Dale's generosity. The electric start saved me the annual tears and cursing that comes every winter at the first crank of the snow blower. This was a big improvement.
This drift on my patio took some work. I knocked it down with the snow shovel before I could tackle it with the snow thrower, but it's gone now. The driveway was one big drift, well about 75% of the driveway was a big drift. That's gone too. It's after 9 pm as I type this and the snow plow has not yet come down my street. There was a silver lining in that. I met a couple of neighbors when I went out to help push a car. I hope the plows come before I wake up in the morning. Surely they will leave me a nice mess at the end of my driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment